Do Not Let Mold On Your Basement Walls Bring About Medical Issues And Decrease The Value Of Your House
Obviously, whenever you can find molds thriving on your basement walls, you already know you’ve got a problem. However, not every mold is very visible. Typically it is safe to think that if there is a musty odor, mold exists. Even a small amount of mold can make the environment risky for young kids, seniors, and people with pre-existing respiratory illnesses. It may also cause you to develop a mold allergy that will make you much more vulnerable to unhealthy side effects. In the best interests of everybody living in your household, you have to find ways to get rid of the mold issue.
The American Society of Home Inspectors statistics show that 60% of all American houses have dampness in the basements. Of this number, 38% are at risk for developing basement mold. Owning a wet basement is sufficient to send your home value tumbling, and mold will make it unattractive to possible buyers. Mold will grow on anything organic which you have in your basement including items like carpeting, drywall, ceiling tiles, wood, cloth, paper, as well as cardboard. Undoubtedly, if you try to increase the resale worth of your home by finishing your basement, the mold issue is only going to worsen.
The moment you believe there’s mold in your basement, you need to begin removing it. If you do not, the issue will only get worse. Make sure you put on a mask, goggles, in addition to gloves whenever you eliminate mold from your basement walls, because even dead mold spores could cause medical issues. Once you have removed all of the mold, clean the walls extensively with a solution of water and bleach. Don’t get complacent when the issue is eliminated, however. Something triggered it to grow in the first place, so if you do not eradicate the origin of the moisture, the mold is going to come back. Utilizing the appropriate waterproofing basement products will also assist – when uncertain – call a professional.
Having mold in the basement can present a significant health risk for family members living in your home and really take away from the house’s appeal to home buyers should you choose to sell it. If you wish to maintain a healthy environment for your family and maximize your resale value, it is necessary to manage all mold problems immediately.