Mold Inspection Basics
Mold inspection is important because it will bring to light some of the hidden issues you may not even be aware of within your home. Mold is a sort of fungus that can become airborne, and settles on wet or damp surfaces both outside and inside of the home. The spores from the fungus inside a home can often cause many health problems, ranging from dermatitis, allergies, headaches, asthma, sinus problems, fatigue, emphysema, eye irritation, dizziness, and confusion. The areas where mold is most prevalent aren’t just in the bathroom, but also the kitchen, attics and basement. Having a mold inspection is important for a home or property owner because older buildings can often have more places for the mold to thrive. Newer homes may also have mold, but it is more likely in the older buildings due to leaks and different areas of dampness.
It may be difficult to really understand that there is some minuscule element that may be making your family ill, but having a mold inspection with a certified mold inspector who knows how to not only detect the presence of the spores, but also on surface areas can help you to figure out a starting place. Finding out what sort of mold is present helps in knowing how to be rid of it. Visual inspections can often show problem areas, but there are hidden issues that only air and surface samples would be able to detect. These spores generally grow in areas that aren’t usually seen by the naked eye – that is, areas where leaks and dampness are high, such as behind walls, leaky roofs and windowsills or under sinks. All of these areas can enable mold to thrive and over time, a serious problem can develop before the home or property owner really has any idea there is an issue.
If the issue that causes dampness remains, even cleaning will not get rid of the mold problem. Leaving the leaks intact simply results in the growth of more mold spores and a toxic mold inspection can help by going through, doing a thorough cleanup, and pointing out what repairs need to be made to prevent regrowth.
Spores that are classified as mold generally become toxic when the growth is out of hand and people exposed to this can suffer from respiratory illnesses. The spores make people very sick, and this really depends on the nature of the spore. Black mold is the usual culprit in making people extremely ill. Inhaling these spores can cause so many breathing problems – from asthma to emphysema. This type of fungus is easily detectable through a professional mold inspection. While there are many different strains, this mold tends to be the most problematic, as exposure to black mold can cause many serious health issues.
Some of the surface areas that mold will attach to and grow are usually wet straw, hay, ceiling tiles, carpet, wallpaper, wood, baseboards, and different types of wall board. Having a mold inspection can show not only where the mold spores are, but also why they are there. The first places usually checked in these inspections are problem areas – places where water leaks are generally found. When a problem area is identified, the mold inspector will then let the individual know that cleaning up mold alone is generally not advised, because they’d have to consider cross contamination, as well as limiting the exposure to the mycotoxin. Another thing that has to go into this is what disinfectant must be used, and what would be safe for those living in the home.
Hiring a competent mold inspector and abatement team is generally critical to not only addressing the issue, but also making sure that the home is free of mold and not ripe for regrowth.